Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Auction Forum Index Auction Forum Index
Free Articles, News, Tips & Support for online auction users worldwide!
Your Relaunched Auction Forum Offering Free Online Auction Help & Advice...

Auction Lotwatch Auctions Home Auction Forum Index Register Memberlist Search Free Auction Tools

Auction Forum Index » Auction Business » They may be new laws coming out for auction site owners

Having to buy an auction gambling licence
Good idea
100%
 100%  [ 4 ]
Bad idea
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Or is the government trying to make more money
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 4

They may be new laws coming out for auction site owners 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:26 pm Reply with quote
redrob

The government and the trading standards are looking into bringing a new law out for auction site owners they have been looking into it and they think that auction sites are a gambling site which means you may have to buy a gambling licence to run your site which also means you may have to be registered. any way I think this would be a good idea as it would stop kids from building auction site or people that are not willing to put the effort into their business.

I am not sure if this is for UK or the world.

Do you think this would be a good idea please vote on the poll

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:22 am Reply with quote
Steve - Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Rob,

I think you may have misunderstood - what this relates to is what is called
Penny Auctions and not your general auction site.

These sites auction new items and people are charged a certain fee to bid
- often increasing as the number of bids increases. People can bid several
times and people can sometimes win a new item at a fraction of its
real cost.

HTH

Cheers

Steve

Post: #3   PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:52 am Reply with quote
Enthusiast

Seems to me a good idea if this is to apply to Penny auctions. These sites seem to be increasing and although it is true you can (if lucky) pick up a bargain, these bargains are funded by all the people who don't win. It does seem to me to be a form of gambling and so I can see the need to control it before the crooks move in and start sites with non-existent goods.
gambling 
Post: #4   PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:15 pm Reply with quote
pap1000

yes thats correct this only applies to the penny auctions and although i have tried this myself it is very costly and you will notice alot of these socalled auction are won by the same people if you get a list of the winners on one day and then check again in 2 days time they seem to have won again strange maybe somthing a bit dodgy but still i have never won any thing so as far as i am concerned they should ban them
if only it was that easy as i have notice a couple of sites normal auction sites tryin to do the same sort of thing

Post: #5   PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:30 pm Reply with quote
dmtaylor247

It seems that these these sites are just scams but at least its good that somebody is recognising the fact that the odds are stacked against you. Its so hard to police the inernet but making sites like these pay a hefting fee will make them reconsider opening in the first place.

Post: #6   PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 10:44 am Reply with quote
edwardvettori

As it is a liscence usually issued to people who are providing online or simple auction or bidding facility and it is recommendation by the government that the activity is safe.

So in my opinion this is good idea.
They may be new laws coming out for auction site owners 
  Auction Forum Index » Auction Business